The SEMA4 Overview course is an introductory course available either as an instructor-led course in Saint Paul, or as a self-study course. Most new users will be required to complete the SEMA4 Overview within 90 days of receiving their initial security clearance. All other courses are available to take at the user's own desk at a time and pace that fits their schedule.
Suggested Curriculum and Prerequisites
Depending upon your job tasks, you may work in different areas of SEMA4. The following information will help you select the appropriate learning guides.
If you use SEMA4 to view human resources information you may want to consider the following:
- Viewing Employee Job Data (MN-PS101S)
- Viewing General Employee Data (MN-PS102S)
- Benefits Inquiry (MN-PS110S)
If you use SEMA4 to process human resources transactions you may want to consider the following:
- Position Management (MN-PS140S)
- Employee Maintenance (MN-PS150S) (Position Management is a prerequisite)
- Correcting HR Data (MN-PS155S) (Position Management is a prerequisite)
- Labor Relations (MN-PS180S)
If you process payroll transactions you may want to consider the following:
- Deductions (MN-PS300S)
- Direct Deposit (MN-PS310S)
- Mass Time Entry (MN-PS320S)
- Adjustments (MN-PS340S) (Mass Time Entry is a prerequisite)
- Leave Accounting (MN-PS350S)
- Employee Business Expense (MN-PS400S)
If you process or monitor health and safety records you may want to consider the following:
- Physical Exam Information (MN-PS171S)
If you process or monitor employee training records you may want to consider the following:
- Training Administration (MN-PS190S)
To register for SEMA4 courses, whether self-study or instructor-led, complete the online course registration
- Self Study Courses: Once your registration has been processed, you will receive an email within 24 hours (Monday - Friday). The email will contain information you need to access the training database to complete the course activities and exercises.
- Instructor-led Course: Once your registration has been processed, you will receive a confirmation email with directions and parking information about one week prior to your class. Call (651) 201-8000 if you do not receive a confirmation letter or to report discrepancies.
Contact the following for more information regarding SEMA4 self-study learning guides:
Registration Due Date
Instructor-led courses require scheduling at least two weeks before the class date. Register early - applications are processed on a first-received basis. You may register for self-study courses at anytime.
Call (651) 201-8000 or fax (651) 296-8325 to reschedule or cancel. Courses may be canceled due to low enrollment. Participants will be notified and offered an alternative option.
Training Location and Accommodations
Instructor-led sessions are held in the Columbine Room, Centennial Office Building, 658 Cedar Street, Saint Paul, MN 55155-1603. Accommodations for a disability (wheelchair access, auxiliary hearing devices, an interpreter, etc.) can be secured by requesting them in advance.
Recorded Web seminars are available on a variety of training topics. These seminars are recorded sessions that users can play as often as desired. No registration is required.