Skip to:

Foreign Graduate Information

There are two certification programs for graduates of non-accredited veterinary schools - the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) and the Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE).

Effective August 1, 2008, both programs are accepted for licensure in Minnesota.  Detailed information on the ECFVG program is available from the AVMA.  Detailed information on PAVE is available from the AAVSB.

To apply for a Minnesota license, candidates must first pass the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE). 

In addition to completing ECFVG or PAVE, candidates for licensure in Minnesota must pass the State Jurisprudence Exam ($50) and pay the initial two-year license fee ($220). This $220 fee includes a $20 statewide electronic licensing surcharge per Minnesota Statutes 16E.22.


Foreign-trained veterinarians who are faculty clinicians at the University of Minnesota VMC may apply for a license as a Specialty VMC Clinician or as a Temporary VMC Faculty Clinician.

Please contact the Board office if you have any questions.