Skip to:


Questions you might have about your license.

  • I recently changed my last name. What’s the process for a new certificate?

    We need validation of your marriage certificate or divorce decree. Merely copy the document and fax, scan and email, or mail the copy to the Board office. There is no fee for this service. Your name will be updated in the database. During renewals, the board staff will update your renewal certificate with the name change. It is best to send in the name change documents first and then renew online once the name change has occurred in the database. The name change occurs on the website the following day for the public licensee search. 

  • I was timed out while online and now I can’t get back in. Now what?

    Due to online security measures, the secure line used for financial transactions will ‘time you out,’ if you do not have a key stroke for ten minutes, leave the application, or any other security steps used by the IT team. If this happens and the system does not allow you to log back in, you will need to wait until 9:30 AM the following day for the system to be ‘reset’. Again, this is for security reasons. 

  • How many CE hours do I have recorded?

    You may access your record by entering the website at and log in. You’ll see the number of CE hours already entered. You may enter them throughout the three year CE period which ends in November 30, 2015. You are required to have 45 clock hours earned between December 1, 2012, and November 30, 2015. 

  • I want to update my CE and renew my license. What's the best way?

    We recommend you first update your continuing education. Once your CE is updated, then proceed to the RENEW License. This avoids being ‘timed out’ as described in an earlier FAQ. 

  • What is the OET Surcharge?

    The Minnesota Office of Enterprise Technology sponsored and the Minnesota Legislature passed legislation in 2009 requiring a 10% surcharge of no less than $5.00 and no more than $150 on EACH business, commercial, professional, or occupational license. The funding from the surcharge will go to OET, which will establish an electronic licensing system for the state. The fees are collected by the board and forwarded to OET. 


  • What is the purpose of the Board?

    The board was created to regulate dietitians and nutritionists for the single purpose of protecting the public.

  • How was the Board created?

    In 1994, the Minnesota legislature, recognizing that the practice of dietetics and nutrition affects the public welfare, passed a law that provided for state licensing and regulation of dietitians and nutritionists.  The law also provided that a board consisting of licensed dietitians and nutritionists, as well as public members, would be responsible for carrying out these functions.

  • Who sits on the Board, and who chooses the Board members?

    The Board consists of seven members appointed by the governor.  Two members must be licensed dietitians, two are licensed nutritionists, and two of the three public members must be either consumers of nutrition care services or people who provide care to individuals who use those services.  The term of appointment is four years.  A person may not be appointed to serve more than two consecutive terms.

  • What does the Board do?
    The Board has several specific duties to fulfill in order to serve its function of protecting the public.  These duties are spelled out in statutes, and the Board is limited in its authority by these statutes.  The Board’s authority extends to those who seek licensure as a dietitian or nutritionist and those who are licensed as a dietitian or nutritionist.  Its two primary duties are:

    (1) Licensure.  The Board assures that individuals who wish to obtain a license to practice dietetics or nutrition in Minnesota are competent and fit to do so.  It does this by reviewing and evaluating applications to make sure an applicant meets the criteria for safe practice that have been established by the legislature and listed in statute.

    (2) Discipline.  Once the Board licenses an individual, he or she must practice in a safe, competent and ethical manner or face disciplinary action from the Board.

  • What, if anything, can the Board do about individuals who are practicing dietetics or nutrition without a license?
    The Board does not have the same kind of authority or power over individuals who are not licensed by or seeking licensure from the Board.  However, this does not mean that there is nothing that can be done about unlicensed practice that violates the law.  When the Board receives a complaint that an individual is engaging in dietetics or nutrition practice without a license, the Board typically makes the following inquiries and may take the following steps:

    (1) Does the unlicensed practice fit within one of the exceptions allowed under the law?
    The legislature has outlined several circumstances under which individuals may practice dietetics or nutrition without a license (see Minnesota Statutes section 148.632).  If the individual fits within one of these categories (e.g., a person employed by a school who does not call themselves a dietitian or nutritionist and whose activities are within the scope of their job), neither the Board, nor anyone else has a legal basis for acting against that persons practice.

    (2) Is the person licensed by another board (e.g., the Board of Nursing)?
    If the person is licensed by one of the other professional boards, and the dietetics or nutrition practice is not “incidental to the practice of the person’s profession” (incidental practice is one of the exceptions allowed under the law), the Board would most likely refer the complaint to the licensing board or boards who have jurisdiction.  By doing so, the Board relinquishes control over resolution of the matter to the board that has authority and jurisdiction over the licensee’s practice.   The licensee may have an obligation to cooperate with an investigation of the board under which they are licensed that they would not have with this Board, and the ramifications for wrongdoing may be greater and swifter under action by the board they are licensed by than by this Board.  The disadvantage is that this Board, then, does not have control over the outcome.

    (3) Is this case appropriate to refer to the County Attorney’s office and/or for the Board to seek injunctive action in district court?
    Regardless of whether the individual is licensed by another board, this Board always has two options available to it when presented with unlawful dietetics/nutrition practice without a license: (1) it can refer the matter to the County Attorney’s office for prosecution, and/or (2) it can ask the district court to issue an injunction (i.e., an order from the court telling the person to stop the unlawful practice).  If referred to the County Attorney’s office, the case is once again out of the hands of the Board; the County Attorney has discretion to decide whether or not to pursue the matter.  Similarly, the Board can seek injunctive action from the district court, but whether or not it is granted will depend on whether there is evidence available to prove to the judge that the practice is occurring and is unlawful.

  • What is a notarized photocopy of my current CDR card?
    Make a photocopy of your current registration card from the Commission of Dietetic Registration.  Take the photocopy and the original card to a Notary Public to have them notarize your signature on the photocopy.  You can find Notaries at most banks or government agencies.