Military Experience to Civilian Qualifications

Skilled Loader Banner

Many veterans are extensively trained in the military for jobs that are equal to many civilian trades and professions, but they lack the civilian credentials to work in those fields outside of the military.

Our Minnesota Veterans Licensure and Certification Program helps veterans convert vocational and technical skills they learned in the military into civilian credentials in a variety of occupations, including:

  • Commercial motor vehicle operators
  • Electricians
  • Stationary engineers
  • Plumbers and pipefitters
  • Construction engineers
  • X-ray technicians
  • Emergency medical technicians
  • Firefighters
  • Police officers

We focus on cutting the time and frustration commonly associated with the credentialing process for veterans.

The goal is to help veterans obtain credentials in occupations that are directly related to their military training. For example, a veteran who was trained as a truck driver in the military may be eligible for assistance in training for a commercial driver license.

While any veteran who is a resident of Minnesota is eligible for assistance, we focus on helping recently separated veterans and active duty military personnel within six months of separation.

Financial assistance may be available to help defray the costs of obtaining licensing and certification.

Other Licensure and Certification Resources

View an extensive listing of military offices, government agencies, educational institutions and private organizations that help offer information about licensure, certification and apprenticeships for veterans.

O*NET OnLine is a tool for career exploration and job analysis. It has hundreds of detailed occupational descriptions for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more.

Contact Information

For more information about licensure and certification, contact:
Joann McCauley

Gary Quernemoen

Enter your address or zip code to find a Veterans Employment Representative at a WorkForce Center near you.