Homemakers Returning to Work

For women and men who have spent much or all of their work life caring for family and home, returning to the workplace or entering it for the first time can be a difficult transition.

That's especially true if the necessity to return to work is brought on by the loss of the family's primary financial support through some unexpected or urgent circumstances.

Through our Displaced Homemaker Program, we help people who have worked mainly in the home develop the marketable skills you'll need to find and maintain a job.


Our goal is to help you learn the skills necessary for finding a job that can support you and your family within a year of starting our program. Here's how we help:

  • We assess your situation and coordinate any necessary intervention by other government agencies.
  • We can help you address issues ranging from non-payment of child support to dealing with violent partners. Peer counseling is available.
  • We work to assist you in pursuing a GED, diploma, certificate or degree that will help you find employment and develop a career. Into this mix we offer life skills courses.
  • Prior to looking for a job we can prepare and counsel you. We assist with letters and resumes. Sometimes we can pay for day care during interviews or workshops, clothing and some transportation costs.


Eligibility Requirements  
You must have provided unpaid household services for at least two years, have lost your primary source of income, and now find that you must support yourself and your family.

This can be from any number of personal factors: A separation, a divorce, desertion, a death or a disability of a spouse or partner. If you lose public assistance benefits, you can also qualify for our program.

You have to meet income guidelines based on a federal formula. Staff at one of our Workforce Centers or six Displaced Homemaker sites can help you understand those guidelines.

If you do not qualify for free services you can still use our program through sliding fee payments.

Services for displaced homemakers are available in more than 51 or Minnesota's 87 counties. To see if you're eligible and to apply for services contact one of our designated services providers.

Find a Service Provider

The Displaced Homemaker Program offers services in more than 51 counties statewide. For more information about services available in your area, select from service providers listed below.

In the Twin Cities contact RESOURCE, Inc. to find out about our services.

Located on the campus of the Rochester Community and Technical College, Choices of SE Minnesota handles the program in southeast Minnesota.

Life-Work Planning Center has three centers in Mankato, Fairmont and New Ulm.

Lives in Transition - AEOA manages the program in northwest Minnesota through the Arrowhead Employment Opportunity Agency, Inc.

SOAR Career Solutions provides our services in Duluth.

Brainerd-based META 5 offers our services in central Minnesota.

The Tri-County Action Program, Inc. offers our services through its WINGS program in the St. Cloud area.

Other Homemaker Services

Homemakers are also eligible to receive the same services that we offer to people who have been laid off from their jobs, known as the Dislocated Worker Program.

Although there is overlap between the two programs, the Dislocated Worker Program does offer some unique services, including occupational skills training, on-the-job training, entrepreneurial training, adult education and literacy, job readiness training, and customized training.

Depending on the circumstances, funding may available to cover the cost of tuition, books, fees, and other educational expenses. Training can be up to two years.

In limited cases, financial assistance for things transportation, child care, health care, housing or rental assistance available.

Ask about the Dislocated Worker Program at your local WorkForce Center.

See the policy about Co-Enrollment in the Dislocated Worker Program and Displaced Homemakers Program.


For more information, contact:

Taryn Galehdari  
Phone: 651-259-7540.  
TTY: 651-296-3900