Skip to content

Telecom Complaints

Consumer complaints concerning local and in-state long distance telephone service are addressed by the Consumer Affairs Office of the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, which regulates major utility companies in Minnesota.

The Commission's Consumer Affairs Office assists utility company customers by mediating disputes between customers and companies. Generally, the areas of those disputes involve service, billing disputes, and delays in getting service installed .

Complaints on wireless service are not handled by the Consumer Affairs Office and can be forwarded to the Minnesota Office of the Attorney General at 651-296-3353 or

For a more detailed listing of where to file a complaint, consult the "Who To Call" list on the Public Utilities Commission's website. If you still have questions about where to file a complaint, contact us at and we will assist you in referring your complaint to the appropriate agency.

The Department of Commerce handles complaints against local service providers regarding the TAP program, a program that provides phone discounts to low-income Minnesotans. If you have a complaint against your local provider regarding the TAP program, contact us at 651-539-1876 or

How we can assist you if you have a complaint or concern
Our agency retains records of licensed telephone companies. We can provide you with lists of licensed local companies that provide service in your area, the licensing history of your carrier or another carrier, and we can explain the formal complaint process of you are involved in a formal complaint that has been filed with the Public Utilities Commission. We also post information on our website on how to understand your phone bill, and how to avoid getting slammed, crammed, or otherwise scammed by telephone service providers.

How to contact us:

Minnesota Department of Commerce
Telecommunications Division
85 7th Place East, Suite 500
St. Paul, MN 55101-2198
Telephone: 651-539-1883
Fax: 651-539-1547
TTY: users can call us through Minnesota Relay by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-627-3529 and providing the relay service with the appropriate Department of Commerce telephone number for the division that you wish to contact.

Email to:  

How to contact the Public Utilities Commission

Public Utilities Commission
Consumer Affairs Office
121 7th Place E. Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55101-2147
Telephone: 651-296-0406
Toll free: 800-657-3782

How to contact the Minnesota Office of the Attorney General

Minnesota Office of the Attorney General