Image copyright: MN House of Representatives Public Information Services.
Barber Shop renewal forms and the May 2016 newsletter were mailed on Thursday May 19, 2016.
The Board accomplishes the mission of promoting public health and safety in relation to the barbering profession and barbering services proved to the public by:
- Setting standards of practice and conduct;
- Reviewing applications in a thorough manner to ensure compliance with statutes and rules;
- Setting educational requirements and examination standards;
- Conducting barber examinations to assure professional standards of service are met;
- Inspecting barber shops and schools to ensure compliance with statues and rules;
- Responding to inquiries, complaints, and reports regarding registrations and conduct of registered barbers and unregistered practitioners;
- Providing information and education to the public;
- Providing clear and concise inspection reports of barber shops.
The Board's registration and inspection processes are designed to assure that barbers and barbershops meet or exceed the legislative and Board established criteria designed to protect public health and safety.
The next scheduled meeting of the Board of Barber Examiners will be held on Monday July 18, 2016 at 8:30 am in conference room A on the 4th floor.
At the January 25, 2016 board meeting the Minnesota Barber Board reviewed the final draft of recommendations for a legislative proposal seeking changes to the Barber Statutes (Laws) as found in MN Statutes Chapter 154. The legislative session is scheduled to end on Monday May 23, 2016. After the session ends then the Governor will make decisions regarding signing passed legislation into law or use his veto power. The proposed barber bill is still pending final passage and as soon as we know the outcome it will be announced here.
At the November 23, 2015 meeting the Board heard comments regarding the apprentice program related to possible statute changes to propose during the upcoming legislative session. The members appreciate the feedback, comments, and suggestions received.
At the September 28, 2015 meeting the Board held a hearing regarding an application by Moler Barber School to open a new location in St. Cloud. After consideration of the application and facts shared at the hearing the Board voted unanimously to approve the application of Moler Barber School in St. Cloud.
July 27, 2015: The Board is pleased to welcome Ronald W. Arnold as Barber Inspector.
As of July 1, 2015 the 10% E-Licensing Surcharge is no longer being added to licensing fees. Fee Schedule as of July 1, 2015