Skip to Content

Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility to obtain federal surplus property and some state surplus property is limited to public agencies, certain non-profit organizations and certain small businesses as defined below. Note that surplus property sold at public auctions is available to all, including members of the public.  

Becoming Eligible

An organization’s chief administrative officer or executive head of the organization must complete the Eligibility Application.  To request the Eligibility Application please email Joe Grove at . Please include the organization’s name, mailing address and a small narrative on the program’s purpose in your email.

Additional Information


Joe Grove, Eligibility Officer
Federal Surplus Property Program
5420 Old Highway 8
Arden Hills, MN  55112
Phone: 651-201-2510

Eligible Organizations

The tabs below outline eligible organizations:

Public Agencies

Public Agency means any State; political subdivision thereof, including any unit of local government or economic development district; any department, agency, or instrumentality thereof, multijurisdictional substate districts established by or pursuant to State law; or any Indian tribe located on a State reservation.  The following is a sample listing of eligible public agencies:

  • State Agencies, Commissions or Boards
  • Public School Districts
  • Counties
  • Cities
  • Townships
  • State Universities
  • Public Libraries
  • Public Museums
  • Volunteer Fire Departments
  • Rescue Organizations
  • City/County Hospitals or Nursing Homes


Non-Profit Organizations are defined as educational or public health institutions or organizations, no part of the net earnings of which inure or may lawfully inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, and which have been held to be tax-exempt under 501C(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code. The following is a sample listing of eligible non-profit organizations:

  • Private Schools/Universities
  • Hospitals, Health Centers, Nursing Homes
  • Child Care Centers
  • Adult Day Care Centers
  • Charter Schools
  • Educational TV and Radio
  • Museums
  • Sheltered Workshops
  • Halfway Houses/Women’s Shelters
  • Programs that provide assistance to homeless individuals or impoverished families
  • Programs that receive federal funds through Title XX to assist older individuals


Service Educational Activities (SEAs) are determined to be eligible by the Department of Defense (DOD). Although, their eligibility is determined by DOD, they should contact Admin Surplus Services staff for their specific requirements. They are eligible to receive DOD property only. SEAs include the following organizations:

  • American Red Cross
  • Boy Scouts of America
  • Girl Scouts of America
  • Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America
  • Boys & Girls Clubs of America
  • Camp Fire Boys and Girls
  • Little League Baseball
  • Marine Corps League
  • National Ski Patrol
  • US Naval Sea Cadets

Small Businesses

Small Businesses that are enrolled in the Small Business Administration’s 8A Program are the only small businesses eligible to participate in the Federal Surplus Property Program. These businesses must be owned or controlled by one or more persons who can provide evidence of having been socially or economically deprived of the opportunity to develop and maintain a competitive position in the economy. 

Eligibility is determined by Randy Czaia in the District Small Business Administration office in Minneapolis, and he can be reached at 612-370-2314 or Additional information can be found on the Web at